Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Floating Minnow Fly From Japan

Koji gave me some Japanese flies that he uses to target suzuki in Tokyo bay.  I really like these flies, they are similar to Jack Gartside's Floating Minnow, with a few differences.  I'm not sure who came up with the idea first but I don't care.  I plan on using this fly for our fresh and saltwater bass.  Although meant to be fished as a popper, I'll also fish it deep with a fast sinking line.
The inner core of the body is polyethylene foam pipe foam that is purchased at a hardware store but tubular fly tying foam can work although its more expensive.  I've looked through our hardware store websites and it seems all our foams come in black here in the US.  I'll have to check in person to see if that's the case.  If so I guess I'll just have to pay more and buy the fly tying foam.  Can't wait to try this fly out.

No comments:

Post a Comment