Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Different Type Of Hunting

Given the fact that hunting with my dog is likely over for this season, I decided to head out to the outdoors to find a different quarry all together.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to mushroom hunting but I thought I'd give it a try.  If anything it would be nice excuse to get some much needed exercise.
From my understanding it's not really mushroom season in the traditional sense but the way the California weather has been acting nature is in a bit off it's schedule.  Much of the woods acts as if it's spring.  Ferns are out which normally grows after winter.  We did not find any edible mushroom but we did find a few polypores.  Some may have been Turkey Tails and I believe the ones pictured above are Gilled Polypores but I could easily be mistaken.
Above are some pictures of the mycelium.  When conditions are right, the mycelium forms a fruitbody, pushing the mushroom up in order to disperse spores.
On the way back to the truck, we were shocked to see some domesticated turkey in the parking lot.  Apparently someone abandoned them recently and left them to fend for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment