Saturday, January 12, 2013

Game Preparation-Aging Ducks

I've been told and have read on numerous occasions, particularly from Europeans, that game should be aged.  I have aged steaks at home but never the game I've taken.  Most if not all the time I pluck and clean the birds I shot that day or the next depending on how tired I am when I reach the car.  This is done mostly because I do not want to pluck the bird at home where feathers and down simply make a mess when you clean them. 

Since last night was bone chilling cold I did not want to be standing in freezing temperatures cleaning this bird, so on my drive home I decided to try aging it to see if that makes a difference.  Also because this bird was not gut shot I thought it would be worth a try. 

From Orvis:
Preparation: Hang them in their feathers, head up, in a refrigerator or cooler for 4 to 6 days. It is not necessary to draw ducks before hanging unless they are badly gut-shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment