Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Twilight Topwater

Dinner took longer than I anticipated and was left with only about 20 minutes of light by the time I arrived on the water.  Hastily I put on my waders and cut off the old fly I used last time in favor of a foam body popper.  Within less than five minutes I was on my first bass, no more than one pound if that.  I lost two more that I felt the line go heavy but was unable to set the hook.  Must have been grabbing the tail.  With the sun down, I managed one more of similar size before I called it quits. Not bad for less than forty minutes on the water.

4 comments:

  1. Cool man! Love the swampy noises as the dusk set. we don't have any top wate predator fish in 'fresh' [ehem] water here - that looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny once you step off that water those swampy sounds turn into city sounds. As for no top water fish in NZ, come on you guys have leg long browns in pretty and pristine water. You can't have it all man. Actually don't those huge browns take mouse patterns on the top. Wait you do have it all! Not fair.

      Delete
  2. Yeah true that, they do but it's not all that common an occurance. Having said that this year is predicted to be a 'masting' [seeding] year for the beesch forests so the rodent population will explode and along with it the girths of those big back country browns.... :)

    Even so we could do with bass here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I can expect some nice pictures of monster browns with a deer hair mouse fly dangling from its hooked jaw in the future? Cool.

      As for no bass in NZ, considering all game in your country is imported I don't see why you guys couldn't have any, maybe in some rancher's pond. Too bad the American ambassador back in the day never gave any to your country like with Japan. Then again that didn't quite work out for the local trout population there.

      Delete