Sunday, December 31, 2017

End of Year Run: Day One

December 27
Since my last sierra run just prior to Thanksgiving, I've been itching to come back and getting into some of those pseudo-steelhead.  After getting about two hours of sleep I woke up early to headed up my buddy's house for the long drive north
I've yet to find a truly decent breakfast in Bishop and after searching the internet for another option I did find a cafe that was worth looking into.  Pupfish Cafe is located with in the Spellbinder bookstore and is more a coffee shop than a cafe.  It serves sandwiches and waffles.  There is no kitchen just a prep area behind the counter.  Looking through the menu I decided to try the Norwegian, an avocado toast topped with smoked salmon and a cilantro pesto.  A decent light breakfast but a bit pricey for what it is.
Several trucks were already on water when we arrived and while we were preparing ourselves to to fish two other vehicles pulled up next to our parking spot.  Since they both were waderless the manage to hit the water before us and fish the hoes we had planned on starting.  The day went on such as this and we couldn't find a hole that wasn't already blown up.
I managed to hook three fish for the day none with any substantial size.  I lost two in the 12-13 inch range and the only fish I landed was a micro dink that would rival a San Gabriel fish.  After hours of agony it was time to head to the truck and make a sandwich from left over Christmas prime rib.  The afternoon fishing fared no more better.  Soon it was time to head into town and sleep in the ultimate roach motel.  To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Dear Gourmet Sportsman,

    I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your faithful hunting buddy, Kaiser. I've enjoyed your posts about hunting in the Owens Valley. My first duck hunt was along the Upper Owens and Hot Creek and that trip set the hook. Now with a family my opportunities to get up to the Owens are scarce; however, I try to make at least one trip per year. In fact, I'm debating whether to head up to Independence area in the next week or so. Look forward to future posts.

    Sincerely,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rob. If you do head up let me know how you did. I'm sitting this season out so I have to live vicariously through others. I did see quite a few birds when I was up there. That of course was a few weeks ago.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the trip. A friend of mine drove up yesterday and checked a few ponds south of Big Pine. He had family in tow so he wasn't able to walk the river and sniff around too much.

      I can't believe the season is over in just a few days. Please continue posting. Your photos are awesome. Makes me want to get an entry level fly rod and give it a shot, and hunt more often with my over/under!

      Cheers.

      Rob

      Delete